either way, it is a family favorite. here is our recipe, taken from mccall's cook book, 1963. my parents started my sister and i on this as kids, so there is no rum in our version.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk, chilled
1 cup light cream, chilled
nutmeg for sprinkling
1. combine sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg in bowl, set aside.
2. in large bowl of electric mixer, at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. gradually beat in half of sugar mixture until stiff peaks form.
4. in small bowl, beat egg yolks until lemon colored. gradually beat in remaining sugar mixture until thick and smooth.
5. thoroughly fold into whites. stir in milk and cream; mix well.
6. serve well chilled, each serving sprinkled with nutmeg.
frothy and delicious! although i do have to admit, this year i cheated and served hood's sugar cookie eggnog sprinkled with nutmeg. it was ok. this was pretty much a sin, but when we got around to the tree decorating at 9pm, a carton and a sprinkle was all the eggnog i could muster.ps. the christmas tree lights blew a fuse.