Sunday, October 5, 2008

havana martini club

oh, how the mighty have fallen.

i remember in my early 20s thinking the havana martini club was swanky and plush, with the dim light and humidor, older men in suits and cigars buying young ladies drinks, and smooth music like warm brandy. we would have cocktails there and finish up late night at shanghai mama's. it made us feel classy and sophisticated and adult.
much to my chagrin, my last visit to the club deflated these rosy memories. the dim lighting was still there, but the decor seemed stark and temporary. and there were men and music, but they were in jeans and gym shoes and dancing in a quite uninhibited fashion to dexy's midnight runners. i believe i may have seen a bachelorette wearing a 'suck for a buck' tshirt. we didn't even order a drink. we just bailed.

what happened?

is it the new location? is it the general acceptance of jeans everywhere these days? or is it that my perspective has changed?

1 comment:

5chw4r7z said...

Probably all of the above.
I thought it was a step up when they moved, but they left the appetizers behind.
the kiss of death for me was the smoking ban, it wasn't their fault but I haven't been back.
Our default hangout is almost always Twist.